Marketing and Communications Manager
National Congress of American Indians
Skills And Qualifications:
Founded in 1944, the National Congress of American Indians (NCAI) is the oldest, largest, and most representative American Indian and Alaska Native organization in the country. NCAI advocates on behalf of tribal governments and communities, promoting strong tribal-federal government-to-government policies. We promote a better understanding among the general public regarding American Indian and Alaska Native governments, people, and rights.
ABOUT THIS POSITION
Since it was founded, NCAI as a non-partisan organization has been involved in civic engagement activities starting with protecting the right to vote for Native Americans. Tribes are America’s first governments and NCAI works to ensure all Native citizens participate in shaping the future of their communities. The Marketing and Communications Manager is an integral part of the External Affairs team, helping manage campaigns, projects, and functions involving media relations, social media, and email marketing.
Employee must possess:
• Bachelor's degree in marketing, communication or related field or equivalent practical experience;
• 3-5 years of experience in communications, marketing, consulting, or PR;
• Ability to multi-task and prioritize work duties;
• Proven track record of copywriting across traditional and digital platforms with an emphasis on promotional writing skills;
• Strong interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills;
• The ability to take direction and work independently, taking initiative within areas of responsibility;
• Advanced computer skills with experience in social media platforms, WordPress publishing, and management tools;
• Background or experience in Native American affairs a plus;
• Ability to work as part of a team and lead efforts across disciplines;
• Experience project managing and coordinating content for campaigns and events, with excellent attention to detail;
• Experience with and enthusiasm for working in a fast-paced, dynamic, and high-pressure environment; and,
• Exhibits the ability to jump from the creative side of marketing to analytical side, able to demonstrate why their ideas are analytically sound.
Duties And Responsibilities:
Under the direction of NCAI’s Vice President of External Affairs and Communications Manager, the Marketing and Communications Manager will provide support for the organization’s media relations, marketing, and communications work. The primary responsibility of this role will be to provide assistance for public and media relations, campaigns, event promotion, and engagement.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Managing the organization’s press inquiries and responses, scheduling interviews, and providing statements;
• Coordinator rapid-response public relations efforts;
• Establishing media relations and enhancing the thought leadership of the organization and its leadership;
• Assist with social media posting and engagement;
• Assist in the implementation of NCAI’s communications and digital strategy;
• Manage email marketing efforts;
• Create a variety of marketing collateral materials in collaboration with the communications team;
• Coordinate and write content for articles, social media, emails, and statements;
• Manage marketing efforts for the NCAI online store;
• Manage and implement campaign plans;
• Develop messaging on complex, nuanced issues;
• Assist the External Affairs team with program administration including contracts, data collection, budget tracking, and inventory of merchandise;
• Coordinate and oversee multiple vendors and stakeholders, as needed;
• Research topics and write speeches for the Chief Executive Officer and Board President;
• Prepare talking points to prepare the CEO for speaking engagements and media interviews;
• Manage crisis communications and brand reputation.
Salary And Benefits:
This position offers a competitive salary and benefits (including health benefits, 401(k) plan, vacation time, etc.)
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Application Procedure: Applicants should send their resume, a brief writing sample, three references, and a cover letter by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.