Health and Wellness Court Judge
Ute Indian Tribe
Fort Duchesne, Utah
Skills And Qualifications:
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Knowledge, Abilities and Skills:
− Knowledge of Federal Indian and criminal law.
− Knowledge of the general rules governing the interpretation of laws and the established administrative procedures of the Office of the Judiciary.
− Ability to maintain professionalism while interacting with a wide variety of people in a fast-paced crisis-oriented environment.
− Knowledge of the laws and policies of the Ute Indian Tribe including rules of procedure.
− Willingness to learn and respect of the Ute customs and traditions and history of the Ute Tribe.
− Possess excellent verbal and written communications skills and ability to maintain a positive, non-adversarial working environment.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
− J.D. from an ABA accredited law school with minimum the (5) years’ experience as a practicing attorney or two (2) years’ experience as a Judge.
− Utah State Licensed Attorney or eligible.
− No felony or misdemeanor convictions in the past year.
− Valid driver’s license with the ability to obtain a Utah driver’s license.
− Preference for experience working in tribal justice systems and familiarity with PL 638 Contracts and procurement of federal grants.
Duties And Responsibilities:
POSITION: The Judge of the Ute Tribal Health and Wellness Court is a full-time position with a minimum 32 work week, Monday through Thursday, between 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM, with the understanding that the employee may be required to work extended hours, including weekends/holidays. The successful applicant must be dependable, reliable, responsible, and able to fulfill obligations in a professional manner. This is a tribally-funded position.
GENERAL DESCRIPTION: The Judge of the Ute Tribal Health and Wellness Court is responsible for presiding over all alcohol and drug addiction related cases referred by the Ute Tribal Court or other applicable entity. Team. This job description is not an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of this position and the successful applicant will be expected to perform all duties necessary to meet the objectives of Court.
SUPERVISION: The Judge of the Ute Health and Wellness Court will work under the general supervision of the Chief Judge of the Ute Tribal Court.
RESPONSIBILITIES: Duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Promulgate rules governing the administration, practice, and procedures of the Health and Wellness Court within the bounds of existing Tribal Court rules of procedure.
- Assist in the development of the Health and Wellness Court, including participation and implementation of court assessments, and the preparation and implementation of grants.
- Assist in the identification, appointment, and supervision of Health and Wellness Court staff.
- Schedule and preside over Health and Wellness Court proceedings and monitor appropriate application of disciplines, sanctions, and incentives while maintaining the integrity of the court.
- Review case status reports, drug test results, cooperation with the treatment provider, and progress towards abstinence and law-abiding behavior.
- Work in consultation with the Chief Judge of the Tribal Court to facilitate the appropriate transfer of cases between the Tribal Court and Health and Wellness Court.
-- Report annually to the Ute Tribal Business Committee on the status, budget, progress and development, and the day to day business conducted by the Health and Wellness Court.
HOW TO APPLY
Complete a Tribal Application Form which can be found on our website: www.UTETRIBE.com. For questions or concerns, contact our office at (435) 725-4009. Applicants should mail a completed Tribal Application Form, cover letter, and resume to:
Ute Indian Tribe
ATTN: Human Resources
RE: Health and Wellness Court Judge
P.O. Box 190
Fort Duchesne, UT 84026
Ute Indian Tribe