National Congress of American Indians
Skills And Qualifications:
- ·Juris Doctor degree
- Active Bar Membership and eligibility for DC Bar Admission
- Two or more years of legal experience
- Strong administrative and organizational skills
- Ability to both take direction and work independently, taking initiative within areas of responsibility
- Capacity to work under pressure, meet deadlines consistently, and handle multiple projects concurrently
- Knowledge of federal Indian law and tribal nations
Duties And Responsibilities:
- Update and advise tribal leaders on issues of national importance;
- Monitor and summarize legislation, regulations, and other materials affecting Indian Country;
- Build relationships with Congressional and agency contacts that are necessary to further the overall mission and responsibilities of NCAI including responses to congressional questions, constituent inquiries, and correspondence involving proposed or pending legislation or agency activities;
- Engage in legislative and agency advocacy and coordinate with federal agencies;
- Develop Congressional testimony, legislative analyses and alerts, policy briefs, and other written documents;
- Assist in the preparation of amicus briefs;
- Represent NCAI and make verbal presentations at conferences and meetings convened by tribes, inter-tribal organizations, federal agencies, and other partners;
- Review legal documents for NCAI, including contracts, leases, and memoranda of understanding.
- Manage grant projects as assigned; and,
- Supervise and mentor legal fellows and interns.
Salary And Benefits:
This position offers a competitive salary and benefits (including health benefits, 401(k) plan, vacation time, etc.).
APPLICATIONS Position will be located at NCAI’s Washington DC offices and is open until filled. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. To apply, submit a cover letter, resume, brief writing sample and the names of three references, by email (preferred) or mail to: National Congress of American Indians Attn: Nketia Agyeman 1516 P St, NW Washington, DC 20005 firstname.lastname@example.org No phone calls please