NCAI Policy Research Center works with tribes and other partners to respond to consultations and requests for input from federal agencies and other entities as needed to ensure that tribal research priorities are included.
Comments and Recommendations:
• NIH Consultation on Intellectual Property Rights in Biomedical Research - NCAI Letter with comments to NIH tribal consultation letter dated April 17, 2019 on NIH policies on Intellectual Property, Inventions, and Patent Rights in Biomedical Research. NCAI encourages tribal nations to submit comments. For more information, view the NIH letter, framing paper, webinar, and slides from the NCAI Mid Year Conference NIH tribal consultation on our 14th Annual Tribal Leader/Scholar Forum proceedings page here.
• US Census Bureau - NCAI Letter calling for immediate tribal consultation on the topic of differential privacy and access to AI/AN Census data. The U.S. Census Bureau plans to implement enhanced privacy protections for the 2020 Census which may limit access to certain AI/AN data tables. If you would like to send a simlar letter, here is a template letter. (7/26/2019)
• NCAI Comments on Advanced Notice of Proposed Rulemaking for “Human Subjects Research Protections: Enhancing Protections for Research Subjects and Reducing Burden, Delay, and Ambiguity for Investigators” (10/25/2011)
• National Indian Health Board Letter to the National Institutes of Health regarding NIH Research Funding and Review for American Indian/Alaska Native Populations (11/7/2013)
• “Race, Ethnicity, and NIH Research Awards” (Ginther, et al. 2011) published in Science
• Information on NIH’s efforts to eliminate Health Disparities, including opportunities for researchers with a dedicated commitment to Native communities